WiFi Policy WiFi Access Information
Wireless Internet Access Policy
Approved by the Board of Trustees 5/16/2006
The Hampstead Public Library will provide Internet access points ("hot spots") for users with laptops or other portable wireless devices. The access points will allow users access to the Internet from their portable wireless devices while located within range of the access point. There are currently three (2) public access points in the building, in the following locations:
- First floor, Center.
- Second floor, Center
Reception and connection speed in each area is strong, but may vary according to the number of wireless devices in use at anyone time and distance from the access point.
Access to an electrical outlet is available only in study rooms and the meeting rooms. Outlets are not available in shelving areas.
Library staff will provide general information on the settings necessary to access the Internet via our wireless connection. If a user has problems accessing the Internet over this connection, staff will only verify that the library's connection is operating normally. Staff will not perform troubleshooting on the patron's own wireless device.
The library cannot guarantee a secure connection to the Internet in a wireless environment. Patrons are advised to use the latest anti-virus, spyware, and other standard protection software to prevent unauthorized access to their wireless devices. Wireless users are advised not to transmit credit card information, passwords or other sensitive personal information while using any wireless "hot spot" in the library. Patrons are also advised that there is no content filter on wireless access.
The library does not provide e-mail services via the wireless connection.
Printing access will not be available via the wireless connection. Users may save their data on a floppy disk or other portable devise and then take it to one of the library's computer workstations to print out information.
The Hampstead Public Library Internet Use Policy governs the use of the Internet over our wireless access points in all areas within range of the connection, both inside and outside the building, on Library premises.
Setup for Wireless Internet Access
- A laptop computer with a WiFi Internet card that supports the WiFi standard (also known as IEEE 802.11b or g).
Quick Setup Settings:
SSID (network name) = HPL-Wireless
Test your connection. If connection fails, you may need to adjust the following settings:
WEP = disable WEP encryption
Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure mode or Access Point
DHCP = Obtain an IP address automatically
DNS = Obtain DNS server address automatically
Windows XP & 2000
- From Control Panel, select "Network and Dial- up Connections" or "Network and Internet Connections."
- Right-click on "Wireless Network Connection" or "Local Area Connection" and click "Properties."
- Locate the internet TCP/IP protocol and get into its Properties. If more than one TCP/IP protocol is listed, look for the one associated with your wireless adapter.
- Select "Obtain and IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically."
- For XP, right-click on "Wireless Network Connection: and select "View Available Wireless Networks." Select the name of the wireless network and click "Connect."
Network Settings (OS X):
- Select Apple Menu, then System Preference, then Network button.
- Select TCP/IP tab and configure "Using DHCP."
- Above the TCP/IP tab, you may need to configure via "AirPort" or other wireless (WiFi) Ethernet.
- Leave Domain Name Servers and Search Domains blank.
back to top
If there are any problems or comments, please write to our Webmaster.